Re: Pacific: access via S3 / Object gateway slow for small files

Hi,

thanks for the answers. My goal was to speed up the S3 interface, an
not only  a single program. This was successful with this method:
https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rados/configuration/bluestore-config-ref/#block-and-block-db

However, one major disadvantage was that Cephadm considered the OSDs
as "STRAY DAEMON"  and the OSD could not be adminstered with the
Dashboard. What really helped was this doc:

https://docs.ceph.com/en/pacific/cephadm/osd/

1. As prerequisites one have to turn off the automagic creation of OSD:

  ceph orch apply osd --all-available-devices --unmanaged=true

2. Then create a YAML specificastion like this and apply it:

service_type: osd
service_id: osd_spec_default
placement:
  host_pattern: '*'
data_devices:
  rotational: 1
db_devices:
  rotational: 0

3. delete ALL OSD from one node:
  ceph orch osd rm <osd_id(s)>
(and wait probably for many< hours)

4. Zap those HDD and SSD:
ceph orch device zap <hostname> <path>

5. Activate ceph-volume via
  ceph cephadm osd activate <host>

Et voià! Now we can use the dashboard and the SSD are used für WAL/DB.
This speedens up the access to Ceph, epsecially the S3 API which is
almost 10 times as fast as before.

For Pacific++ there should be a very prominent reference to the doc
"Cephadm – OSD service", in particular from the "BlueStore Settings"
(first URL above). That would have saved me many hours of testing.

Thanks anyway!