Re: Pacific: access via S3 / Object gateway slow for small files

Il 24.08.21 09:32, Janne Johansson ha scritto:
As a simple test I copied an Ubuntu /usr/share/doc (580 MB in 23'000 files):

- rsync -a to a Cephfs took 2 min
- s3cmd put --recursive took over 70 min
Users reported that the S3 access is generally slow, not only with s3tools.
Single per-object accesses and writes on S3 are slower, since they
involve both client and server side checksumming, a lot of http(s)
stuff before the actual operations start and I don't think there is a
lot of connection reuse or pipelining being done so you are going to
make some 23k requests, each taking a non-zero time to complete.

Question: Is Swift compatible protocol faster?

Use case: I have to store indefinite files quantity for a data storage service; I thought object storage is the unique solution; each file is identified by UUID, no metadata on file, files are chunked 4Mb size each.

In such case cephfs is the best suitable choice?

Thanks.

F.