Re: we're living in 2005.

Den tis 27 juli 2021 kl 10:21 skrev Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx>:
> > Try to install a completely new ceph cluster from scratch on fresh installed LTS Ubuntu by this doc https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/cephadm/install/ . Many interesting discoveries await you.
> > Nothing special - only step by step installation. As described in documentation. No more and no less.
>
> But who's responsibility is it to write documentation? Ceph is Open
> Source and anybody can help to make it better.
> Developing Ceph is not only writing code, but that could also be writing
> documentation.
> And if you spot flaws in the documentation anybody is more then welcome
> to open a pull request to improve the documentation.

Then again, it took me quite a while to get a single-character docs PR
*) right before it could get merged, so my hint to anyone wanting to
improve docs is to contact Zac Dover and have him jump through the
hoops, he has been very responsive to all my doc suggestions.

But while we are at the docs topic, I would suggest not letting code
acquire new subcommands and features without the corresponding
documentation also being added, so you don't end up with commands
like:

$ ceph osd frotzificate
where "ceph --help" says "frotzificate <OSD-num>" and the command line
reference manual expands this to:
"this command frotzificates the OSD" leaving you with no more
information than the original ceph osd subcommand verb had even if it
uses slightly more words.

In cases like this, we on the "outside" can't divine the information
in finite time in order to figure out what, when, how and why one
should frotzificate your OSD in order to add value to the docs even if
the add-to-docs part is simple and available to anyone.

I get that some commands and sub-features are internal-only or not
meant for general consumption, but I think the above example exist in
lots of cases where ceph admins actually are supposed to run them at
times.

*) https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/38356