Re: we're living in 2005.

>> Are they too focused on having Ceph consultants to fix your problems or
>> do they actually want to build a community to share knowledge?
>>

> I am also a little worried about this strategy. You can see also that redhat is putting it's information pages behind a login. Now they cancelled CentOS. What is next to come, pffff

CentOS isn’t canceled.

Ceph — and thus everyone using it -- has benefitted dramatically from Red Hat’s contributions to the Ceph codebase and community.  They have employees with addictions to food and shelter, who are paid by charging for Red Hat services.  That said, last I knew one can sign up for a developer account and access many of Red Hat’s articles.

The community has always been Ceph’s superpower.

Mailing lists are far from dead or obsolete.  They accomodate people in timezones around the world, and are widely and readily indexed and archived.  That said, a web forum might not be a bad idea, given resources to host and administer it, though it might be more susceptible to data loss.

> Also the documentation page is lacking explaining basic
> knowledge about Ceph concepts which would be helpful for newcomers.

docs.ceph.io ?  If there’s something that you’d like to see added there, you’re welcome to submit a tracker ticket, or write to me privately.  It is not uncommon for documentation enhancements to be made based on mailing list feedback.

I can also recommend a book for people getting started with Ceph ;)

— aad