Re: In theory - would 'cephfs root' out-perform 'rbd root'?

I doubt it. The problem is that the CephFS MDS must perform
distributed metadata transactions with ordering and locking.
 Whereas a filesystem on rbd runs locally and doesn't have to worry
about other computers writing to the same block device.
Our bottleneck in production is usually the MDS CPU load.