Re: MDS cache tunning

I don't think # clients alone is a good measure by which to decide to
deploy multiple MDSs -- idle clients create very little load, but just
a few badly behaving clients can use all the MDS performance. (If you
must hear a number, I can share that we have single MDSs with 2-3000
clients connected.)

To detect an overloaded MDS, in most cases the users will notice that
metadata ops are becoming slow -- so simple things like ls, mv, or
creating files will become slow. The MDS cpu usage will also be very
high -- (note that the MDS is not multithreaded, so at most it will
saturate somewhere between 100-200%). There are also some op latency
metrics in the mds perf dump you can observe -- if simple ops are
taking more than a few milliseconds then this is another indication
that the MDS load is too high.

Next, if you do find that you need multiple MDSs, and if you
understand the client workload very well, it is best if you can use
subtree pinning to statically pin sub directories to a particular MDS
rank. See https://ceph.io/community/new-luminous-cephfs-subtree-pinning/
Without pinning, the MDSs will use a heuristic to move subtrees
between themselves -- this doesn't always work very well for all
workloads, and can sometimes cause more harm than good.

Cheers, Dan