Re: Cephfs: Migrating Data to a new Data Pool

Am 05.04.21 um 21:27 schrieb Peter Woodman:
yeah, but you don't want to have those reference objects in an EC pool,
that's iiuc been explicitly disallowed in newer versions, as it's a performance suck. so leaving them in the replicated pool is good :)

I know, but that's quite workload-dependent. We actually fare quite well with our existing EC-only data pool on HDDs,
keeping only the metadata on a small replicated NVMe pool. If most of your workloads are write-once, read-many, and of that, most are streaming reads,
this may be exactly down your alley ;-).
IIUC, newer versions disallow this only to clarify it might not be what you want performance-wise,
but they still allow to override this if you know it is what you want.

So in our case, indeed an EC-to-EC-migration would be what we'd look at (once we add more and more servers).
This could either be solved by "EC profile migration" (if it was possible),
or, more generally, by adding the possibility to migrate the primary data pool of an existing FS.

But as I understand it, for now, none of that is possible just yet, and the only "big hammer" would be to create a new FS and copy things over.
CephFS mirroring (of snapshots) in Pacific may make this easier by allowing to reduce any actual downtime for users, but any other solution would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
	Oliver