Re: Cephfs: Migrating Data to a new Data Pool

Hi,

that really looks like a useful tool, thanks for mentioning this on the list :-).

However, I'd also love to learn about a different way ­— as documentation states:
"You may notice that object counts in your primary data pool (the one passed to fs new) continue to increase, even if files are being created in the pool you added."
 https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/cephfs/file-layouts/
So I think while this will migrate the bulk of the data, it will never be a full migration the way CephFS seems to be implemented.
Especially for growing EC clusters, it would be helpful to be able to migrate to a different, more space-efficient EC profile as the number of hosts increases.

We're not at this point yet, but one day we'll surely be. Right now, the only "complete migration" approach seems to be to create a new FS, and migrate things over...
Am I right?

Cheers,
	Oliver