Re: ceph-ansible in Pacific and beyond?

On 3/17/21 7:51 PM, Martin Verges wrote:
  I am still not convinced that containerizing everything brings any
benefits except the collocation of services.

Is there even a benefit?

Decoupling from underlying host OS. On a test cluster I'm running Ubuntu Focal on the host (and a bunch of other stuff, hyperconverged setup) and for testing purposes I needed to run Ceph Mimic there. No Mimic (or Nautilus packges for that matter) available on Ubuntu Focal. In that case it can be convenient to "just run a container". Sure you can build them yourselves. And with the pxe way of deploying you have more flexibility, but most setups (I guess) are not like that.

So, for me that was a benefit. I can think of other potential benefits, but I don't want to go there, asof yet, as I still need to convince myself containers are a proper solution to deploy software as far as Ceph is concerned. But it does look promising.

Gr. Stefan