Re: Failure Domain = NVMe?

For EC 8+2 you can get away with 5 hosts by ensuring each host gets 2
shards similar to this:
https://ceph.io/planet/erasure-code-on-small-clusters/
If a host dies/goes down you can still recover all data (although at that
stage your cluster is no longer available for client io).
You shouldn't just consider failure but also maintenance scenarios which
will require a node to offline for some time. In particular a ceph upgrades
can take some time - especially if something goes wrong. You have no
breathing room left at that stage and your cluster will be dead until all
nodes are up again