Failure Domain = NVMe?

Hello,

In some documentation I was reading last night about laying out OSDs, it was suggested that if more that one OSD uses the same NVMe drive, the failure-domain should probably be set to node. However, for a small cluster the inclination is to use EC-pools and failure-domain = OSD.

I was wondering if there is a middle ground - could we define failure-domain = NVMe?  I think the map would need to be defined manually in the same way that failure-domain = rack requires information about which nodes are in each rack.

Example:  My latest OSD nodes have 8 HDDs and 3 U.2 NVMe.  I'd set up the WAL/DB for with HDDs per OSD  (wasted space on the 3rd NVMe).  Across all my OSD nodes I will have 8 HDDs and either 2 or 3 NVMe devices per node - 15 total NVMe devices.   My preferred EC-pool profile is 8+2.  It seems that this profile could be safely dispersed across 15 failure domains, resulting in protection against NVMe failure.

Please let me know if this is worth pursuing.

Thanks.

-Dave

--
Dave Hall