Re: Storing 20 billions of immutable objects in Ceph, 75% <16KB

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 12:36 AM Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 05:36:53PM +0100, Loïc Dachary wrote:
> > Bonjour,
> >
> > TL;DR: Is it more advisable to work on Ceph internals to make it
> > friendly to this particular workload or write something similar to
> > EOS[0] (i.e Rocksdb + Xrootd + RBD)?
> CERN's EOSPPC instance, which is one of the biggest from what I can
> find, was up around 3.5B files in 2019; and you're proposing running 10B
> files, so I don't know how EOS  will handle that. Maybe Dan can chime in
> on the scalability there.

The EOS namespace is now QuarkDB https://github.com/gbitzes/QuarkDB
But even with a clever namespace I don't think it is practical to
manage a system with 10B tiny files.
Enumerating them for a consistency check or migrating between hosts or
recovering from failures is going to be painful.
Pack them...

-- Dan