Re: rbd move between pools

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 09:34:00AM +0000, Marc wrote:

> > There IS an 'rbd mv', and also 'rbd cp' does the exact copy.
> > Or am I missing something in the question?
> >

> Yes my bad. I am blind sometimes. Since I learned that a mv in
> cephfs between different data pools, leaves still data in the source
> pool. Seeing 'deep cp', 'cp' and 'import/export' I thought maybe ask
> first, before I destroy something.

The `rbd mv` is just an alias for `rbd rename`, so it can be used just
to rename an image within a pool. Which I suppose is not what you
want.

`rbd cp` will copy only one image snapshot (or the image head) to the
destination.

`rbd deep cp` will copy all image snapshots and the image head.

It looks like you want `rbd deep cp` for your task but from your
example I am not sure I understand what problems you have with it?

The new format 'import/export' can also be used for copying all
snapshots.

And there is `rbd migration` [1] which among other things may be used
as "deep move" between the pools. May be this is what you want?

[1] https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rbd/rbd-live-migration/

--
Mykola Golub