Re: Where has my capacity gone?

Hi George,

> May I ask if enabling pool compression helps for the future space amplification?

If the amplification is indeed due to min_alloc_size, then I don't
think that compression will help. My understanding is that compression
is applied post-EC (and thus probably won't even activate due to the
small chunks), and that the compressed bits will still be stored on
disk in the same way as before (min_alloc_size still applies). More
info here: https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=000019629

It's possible, though, that turning on compression and tuning its
settings could reduce the overall number of blocks allocated, which
would compensate slightly for the amplification. To confirm that you'd
have to analyze the object sizes of your data set. There are also
pathological cases where perhaps most of your EC chunks are slightly
over 64K and by forcing them to compress (they won't by default) you
actually cut allocated blocks in half. Again, that would take analysis
to determine.

Josh