Re: Provide more documentation for MDS performance tuning on large file systems

Hi Patrick,
I haven't gone through this thread yet but I want to note for those
reading that we do now have documentation (thanks for the frequent
pokes Janek!) for the recall configurations:

https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/cephfs/cache-configuration/#mds-recall

Please let us know if it's missing information or if something could
be more clear.
The documentation has helped a big deal already and I've been playing around with them quite a bit recently. What's missing, obviously, are recommended settings for individual scenarios (at least ballparks). But that is hard to come by without experimenting first (I wouldn't call our deployment massive, but very likely significantly above average and I don't know what scale the developers are usually testing at). As I mentioned in the other thread, I am testing Dan's recommendations at the moment and will refine them for our purposes. The effects of individual tweaks are hard to assess without dedicated benchmarks (although "MDS not hanging up" is already somewhat of a benchmark :-)).