Re: Benchmark WAL/DB on SSD and HDD for RGW RBD CephFS

Den ons 16 sep. 2020 kl 06:27 skrev Danni Setiawan <
danni.n.setiawan@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to find performance penalty with OSD HDD when using WAL/DB in
> faster device (SSD/NVMe) vs WAL/DB in same device (HDD) for different
> workload (RBD, RGW with index bucket in SSD pool, and CephFS with
> metadata in SSD pool). I want to know if giving up disk slot for WAL/DB
> device is worth vs adding more OSD.
>
> Unfortunately I cannot find the benchmark for these kind workload. Has
> anyone ever done this benchmark?

I think this probably is a too vague and broad question. If you ask
"will my cluster handle far more write iops if I have WAL/DB (or journal)
 on SSD/NVME instead of on the same drive as the data", then almost everyone
will agree that yes, flash WAL/DB will make your writes (and recoveries)
lots
quicker, since NVME/SSD will do anything from 10x to 100x the amount of
small
writes per second than the best spin-HDDs. But how this will affect any one
single
end-user experience behind S3 or CephFS without diving into a ton of
implementation
details like "how much ram cache does the MDS have for cephfs, how many RGWs
and S3 streams are you using in parallel in order to speed up S3/RGW
operations"
will be very hard to say in pure numbers.

Also, even if flash devices are "only" used for speeding up writes, normal
clusters see a lot
of mixed IO so if writes theoretically take 0ms, you get lots more free
time to do reads
on the HDDs, and reads often can be accelerated with RAM caches in various
places.

So like any other storage system, if you put a flash device in front of the
spinners you
will see improvements, especially for many small write ops, but if your use
case consists
of "copy these 100 10G-images to this pool every night" or
"every hour we unzip the sources to a large program and checksum the files
 and then clean the directory" will have a large impact on how flash helps
your
cluster.

Also, more boxes add more performance in more ways than just "more disk",
every extra
cpu, every G ram, every extra network port means the overall perf of the
cluster goes up
by sharing the total load better. This will not show up in simple
one-threaded tests but as
you get 2-5-10-100 active clients doing IO it will be noticeable.