From: Michael Thomas <wart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 16 September 2020 01:27:19
To: ceph-users@xxxxxxx
Subject:  multiple OSD crash, unfound objects

Over the weekend I had multiple OSD servers in my Octopus cluster
(15.2.4) crash and reboot at nearly the same time.  The OSDs are part of
an erasure coded pool.  At the time the cluster had been busy with a
long-running (~week) remapping of a large number of PGs after I
incrementally added more OSDs to the cluster.  After bringing all of the
OSDs back up, I have 25 unfound objects and 75 degraded objects.  There
are other problems reported, but I'm primarily concerned with these
unfound/degraded objects.

The pool with the missing objects is a cephfs pool.  The files stored in
the pool are backed up on tape, so I can easily restore individual files
as needed (though I would not want to restore the entire filesystem).

I tried following the guide at
https://docs.ceph.com/docs/octopus/rados/troubleshooting/troubleshooting-pg/#unfound-objects.
  I found a number of OSDs that are still 'not queried'.  Restarting a
sampling of these OSDs changed the state from 'not queried' to 'already
probed', but that did not recover any of the unfound or degraded objects.

I have also tried 'ceph pg deep-scrub' on the affected PGs, but never
saw them get scrubbed.  I also tried doing a 'ceph pg force-recovery' on
the affected PGs, but only one seems to have been tagged accordingly
(see ceph -s output below).

The guide also says "Sometimes it simply takes some time for the cluster
to query possible locations."  I'm not sure how long "some time" might
take, but it hasn't changed after several hours.

My questions are:

* Is there a way to force the cluster to query the possible locations
sooner?

* Is it possible to identify the files in cephfs that are affected, so
that I could delete only the affected files and restore them from backup
tapes?

--Mike

ceph -s:

   cluster:
     id:     066f558c-6789-4a93-aaf1-5af1ba01a3ad
     health: HEALTH_ERR
             1 clients failing to respond to capability release
             1 MDSs report slow requests
             25/78520351 objects unfound (0.000%)
             2 nearfull osd(s)
             Reduced data availability: 1 pg inactive
             Possible data damage: 9 pgs recovery_unfound
             Degraded data redundancy: 75/626645098 objects degraded
(0.000%), 9 pgs degraded
             1013 pgs not deep-scrubbed in time
             1013 pgs not scrubbed in time
             2 pool(s) nearfull
             1 daemons have recently crashed
             4 slow ops, oldest one blocked for 77939 sec, daemons
[osd.0,osd.41] have slow ops.

   services:
     mon: 4 daemons, quorum ceph1,ceph2,ceph3,ceph4 (age 9d)
     mgr: ceph3(active, since 11d), standbys: ceph2, ceph4, ceph1
     mds: archive:1 {0=ceph4=up:active} 3 up:standby
     osd: 121 osds: 121 up (since 6m), 121 in (since 101m); 4 remapped pgs

   task status:
     scrub status:
         mds.ceph4: idle

   data:
     pools:   9 pools, 2433 pgs
     objects: 78.52M objects, 298 TiB
     usage:   412 TiB used, 545 TiB / 956 TiB avail
     pgs:     0.041% pgs unknown
              75/626645098 objects degraded (0.000%)
              135224/626645098 objects misplaced (0.022%)
              25/78520351 objects unfound (0.000%)
              2421 active+clean
              5    active+recovery_unfound+degraded
              3    active+recovery_unfound+degraded+remapped
              2    active+clean+scrubbing+deep
              1    unknown
              1    active+forced_recovery+recovery_unfound+degraded

   progress:
     PG autoscaler decreasing pool 7 PGs from 1024 to 512 (5d)