Von: Chris Palmer <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Gesendet: Freitag, 7. August 2020 10:25
An: ceph-users@xxxxxxx
Betreff:  Re: Can you block gmail.com or so!!!

While you are thinking about the mailing list configuration, can you consider that it is very DMARC-unfriendly, which is why I have to use an email address from an ISP domain that does not publish DMARC.

If I post from my normal email accounts:

  * We publish SPF, DKIM & DMARC policies that request rejection of
    emails purportedly from our domain that fail both SPD & DKIM. We
    also request DMARC forensic reports.
  * I post to the list, and the list "forwards" the email to everyone
    with my email as the sender, and modifies the subject by prepending

  * Modifying the subject invalidates my DKIM signature
  * Many receiving domains check DMARC, and see that I fail SPF by
    trying to send from an unauthorised relay (i.e. the mailing list
    server) and that I fail DKIM as the signature is now invalid due to
    the subject change
  * All those domains reject my message, some sending me bounce messages
  * All of the domains send me daily reject reports so I can see that
    many are being rejected
  * Some send me a forensic report for each bounced message (I have this
    enabled after one of our domains was used as the sender address for
    a mass-spamming toolkit)
  * So for each message I post I can receive 50-100 blowback messages,
    and know that most people haven't seen my posts!

Forwarding a message with the original sender, as well as modifying the message, is a no-no..... It's already a problem, and will continue to grow as a problem as spam mitigations increase.

Hope that helps explain the issue.

Regards, Chris