Re: Setting rbd_default_data_pool through the config store

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 6:23 AM Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to have clients read the 'rbd_default_data_pool' config
> option from the config store when creating a RBD image.
>
> This doesn't seem to work and I'm wondering if somebody knows why.

It looks like all string-based config overrides for RBD are ignored:

2020-07-29T08:52:44.393-0400 7f2a97fff700  4 set_mon_vals failed to
set rbd_default_data_pool = rbd-data: Configuration option
'rbd_default_data_pool' may not be modified at runtime

librbd always accesses the config options in a thread-safe manner, so
I'll open a tracker ticket to flag all the RBD string config options
are runtime updatable (primitive data type options are implicitly
runtime updatable).

> I tried:
>
> $ ceph config set client rbd_default_data_pool rbd-data
> $ ceph config set global rbd_default_data_pool rbd-data
>
> They both show up under:
>
> $ ceph config dump
>
> However, newly created RBD images with the 'rbd' CLI tool do not use the
> data pool.
>
> If I set this in ceph.conf it works:
>
> [client]
> rbd_default_data_pool = rbd-data
>
> Somehow librbd isn't fetching these configuration options. Any hints on
> how to get this working?
>
> The end result is that libvirt (which doesn't read ceph.conf) should
> also be able to create RBD images with a different data pool.
>
> Wido

Jason