Enabling Multi-MDS under Nautilus after cephfs-data-scan scan_links

Hi,

I got involved in a case where a Nautilus cluster was experiencing MDSes
asserting showing the backtrace mentioned in this ticket:
https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/36349

ceph_assert(follows >= realm->get_newest_seq());

In the end we needed to use these tooling to get one MDS running again:
https://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/cephfs/disaster-recovery-experts/#using-an-alternate-metadata-pool-for-recovery

The root-cause seems to be that this Nautilus cluster was running
Multi-MDS with a very high amount of CephFS snapshots.

After a couple of days of scanning (scan_links seems single threaded!)
we finally got a single MDS running again with a usable CephFS filesystem.

At the moment chowns() are running to get all the permissions set back
to what they should be.

The question now outstanding: Is it safe to enable Multi-MDS again on a
CephFS filesystem which still has these many snapshots and is running
single at the moment?

New snapshots are disabled at the moment, so those won't be created.

In addition: How safe is it to remove snapshots? As this will result in
metadata updates.

Thanks

Wido