Ceph SSH orchestrator?

Dear Cephalopodians,

as we all know, ceph-deploy is on its demise since a while and essentially in "maintenance mode".

We've been eyeing the "ssh orchestrator" which was in Nautilus as the "successor in spirit" of ceph-deploy.
While we have not tried it out just yet, I find this module seems to be gone without a trace in Octopus.
There's still an Orchestrator module, but this seems to work "only" with containers.

Is this true, or is there still an SSH orchestrator capable of bare-metal operation in Octopus (or are there plans to have something like this)?

While I see many advantages of containers in many areas, and certainly also for smaller setups or test setups with Ceph,
as any technology, they come with their own problems.
Example issues (which all can be solved, but require extra work from the administrator) are:
- Operation on machines without connectivity to the internet (you'd need to mirror the containers or run your own registry),
- Ensuring automated security updates both outside the containers and inside the containers, or re-pull them regularly (and monitor that),
- Integrate with existing logging and configuration management systems,
- Potential hardware issues, such das InfiniBand RDMA.

There's surely more (and there are also as many benefits), and as I said, all can be solved; the point I want to make is:
Containers are not the best solution in all environments and also not for all admins.

So my question is: Is there something like the SSH orchestrator still available?
I guess essentially the cephadm orchestrator does something similar behind the screnes, with the added bells and whistles to manage the containers.
Of course, a reduced feature-set would be expected (e.g. no "ceph orch upgrade"), but it would jump into the hole ceph-deploy has left.

Maybe this is as easy as setting a configuration knob? Or is it also possible to switch to a "bare-metal edition" of cephadm (which might rely on users
or existing configuration management to install the packages, e.g.)?

Cheers,
	Oliver