Re: Cluster network and public network

> Hi,
>
> I deployed few clusters with two networks as well as only one network.
> There has little impact between them for my experience.
>
> I did a performance test on nautilus cluster with two networks last week.
> What I found is that the cluster network has low bandwidth usage

During steady-state, sure.  Heartbeats go over that, as do replication ops when clients write data.

During heavy recovery or backfill, including healing from failures, balancing, adding/removing drives, much more will be used.

Convention wisdom has been to not let that traffic DoS clients, or clients to DoS heartbeats.

But this I think dates to a time when 1Gb/s networks were common.  If one’s using modern multiple/bonded 25Gb/s or 40Gb/s links ….

> while public network bandwidth is nearly full.

If your public network is saturated, that actually is a problem, last thing you want is to add recovery traffic, or to slow down heartbeats.  For most people, it isn’t saturated.

How do you define “full” ?  TOR uplinks?  TORs to individual nodes?  Switch backplanes?  Are you using bonding with the wrong hash policy?

> As a result, I don't think the cluster network is necessary.

For an increasing percentage of folks deploying production-quality clusters, agreed.