Re: Benefits of high RAM on a metadata server?

On 2/6/20 11:01 PM, Matt Larson wrote:
> Hi, we are planning out a Ceph storage cluster and were choosing
> between 64GB, 128GB, or even 256GB on metadata servers. We are
> considering having 2 metadata servers overall.
>
> Does going to high levels of RAM possibly yield any performance
> benefits? Is there a size beyond which there are just diminishing
> returns vs cost?

The MDS will try to cache as much inodes as you allow it to.

So the amount of users nor the total amount of bytes doesn't matter,
it's the amount of inodes, thus: files and directories.

The more you have of those, the more memory it requires.

A lot of small files? A lot of memory!

Wido