Re: Benefits of high RAM on a metadata server?

Quoting Wido den Hollander (wido@xxxxxxxx):

> On 2/6/20 11:01 PM, Matt Larson wrote:
> > Hi, we are planning out a Ceph storage cluster and were choosing
> > between 64GB, 128GB, or even 256GB on metadata servers. We are
> > considering having 2 metadata servers overall.
> >
> > Does going to high levels of RAM possibly yield any performance
> > benefits? Is there a size beyond which there are just diminishing
> > returns vs cost?
> >

> The MDS will try to cache as much inodes as you allow it to.
>
> So the amount of users nor the total amount of bytes doesn't matter,
> it's the amount of inodes, thus: files and directories.

If clients are using unique datasets (files / directories) than the
amount of clients do matter. If that is the case you might also ask
yourself why you need a clustered filesystem, as it will definitely not
speed things up compared to a local fs (metadata operations that is).

> The more you have of those, the more memory it requires.

To clarify: in (active) use. Just having a lot of data around does not
necessarily require a lot of memory.

> A lot of small files? A lot of memory!

> > The expected use case would be for a cluster where there might be
> > 10-20 concurrent users working on individual datasets of 5TB in size.
> > I expect there would be lots of reads of the 5TB datasets matched with
> > the creation of hundreds to thousands of smaller files during
> > processing of the images.

Hundreds to thousands of files is not a lot. Are these datasets to be
stored permanently, or only temporarily? I guess it is convenient to
just configure one fs for all clients to use, but it might not be the
best fit / best performing solution in your case.

Gr. Stefan