Re: Benefits of high RAM on a metadata server?

Quoting Matt Larson (larsonmattr@xxxxxxxxx):

> The MDS servers are not planned to have SSD drives. The storage
> servers would have HD's and 1 nVME SSD drive that could hold metadata
> volumes.

Be careful with that. One thing we have learned (the hard way) is that
the impact of a lot of OMAP data (key-value info used by the MDS ... and
RGW for indexes for that matter) condensed on a limited amount of OSDs
might hurt performance. Ideally you would want to spread it out accross
as many (flash) drives as you can. Hundreds of thousands to a couple
million files / directories will probably be not be an issue. Are you
planning on storing (processed) datasets on CephFS for the long term as
well? In that case a lot of files / directories will matter (over time).
If budget / hardware allows buy more NVMe ... and partition them in
equal parts (benchmarks show that 4 would be optimal).  And put the
WAL/DB of the HDs (spinners) on them. Be careful though, if one NVMe
dies the HDs that depend on them are going down with it. It's a tradeoff
between efficiency and cost / performance.

Gr. Stefan