To: "Radhakrishnan2 S" <radhakrishnan2.s@xxxxxxx>
From: "Stefan Kooman" <stefan@xxxxxx>
Date: 12/31/2019 07:25AM
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "ceph-users" <ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Architecture - Recommendations

"External email. Open with Caution"

Hi,

> Radha: I'm sure we are using BGP EVPN over VXLAN, but all deployments
> are through the infrastructure management network. We are a CSP and
> overlay means tenant network, if ceph nodes are in overlay, then
> multiple tenants will need to be able to communicate to the ceph
> nodes. If LB is out of the ceph network, lets say XaaS, will routing
> across networks not create a bottleneck ? I'm novice in network, so if
> you can help with a reference architecture, it would be of help.

https://vincent.bernat.ch/en/blog/2017-vxlan-bgp-evpn

And

https://vincent.bernat.ch/en/blog/2018-l3-routing-hypervisor

Where hypervisor would be your Ceph nodes. I.e. you can connect your
Ceph nodes on L2 or make them part of the L3 setup (more modern way of
doing it). You can use "ECMP" to add more network capacity when you need
it. Setting up a BGP EVPN VXLAN network is not trivial ... I advise on
getting networking expertise in your team.

Radha: Thanks for the reference. We are planning to have a dedicated set of nodes, for our ceph cluster and not make it hyperconverged. Do you see that as a recommended option ? Since we might also have baremetal servers for workloads, we want to make the storage as a separate dedicated one.

Gr. Stefan

--
| BIT BV  https://www.bit.nl/        Kamer van Koophandel 09090351
| GPG: 0xD14839C6                   +31 318 648 688 / info@xxxxxx