Re: how many monitor should to deploy in a 1000+ osd cluster

I’d always been led to believe that when a client attaches it tries the mons in its conf file in order until it contacts one, which may then hand it off to another.  This was given as an explanation for a situation I once had where 2/5 mons were down but clients could run but couldn’t attach/boot.  The idea was that since it was the *first* two mons in the clients’ config file that were down, they would time out before they could try the third.  The immediate workaround was to blast out an interim config file with the first two mons commented/removed.

This was in the Firefly or Hammer days, does that sound plausible and perhaps still how things work?

I’ve at times bound a client (well, perhaps ‘ceph status’ isn’t a client as such?) to a specific mon with the -m switch.

— aad