Re: Questions regarding backing up Ceph

On 7/24/19 1:37 PM, Fabian Niepelt wrote:
> Hello ceph-users,
>
> I am currently building a Ceph cluster that will serve as a backend for
> Openstack and object storage using RGW. The cluster itself is finished and
> integrated with Openstack and virtual machines for testing are being deployed.
> Now I'm a bit stumped on how to effectively backup the Ceph pools.
> My requirements are two weekly backups, of which one must be offline after
> finishing backing up (systems turned powerless). We are expecting about 250TB to
> 500TB of data for now. The backups must protect against accidental pool
> deletion/corruption or widespread infection of a cryptovirus. In short: Complete
> data loss in the production Ceph cluster.
>
> At the moment, I am facing two issues:
>
> 1. For the cinder pool, I looked into creating snapshots using the ceph CLI (so
> they don't turn up in Openstack and cannot be accidentally deleted by users) and
> exporting their diffs. But volumes with snapshots created this way cannot be
> removed from Openstack. Does anyone have an idea how to do this better?

You mean that while you leave the snapshot there OpenStack can't remove it?

> Alternatively, I could do a full export each week, but I am not sure if that
> would be fast enough..

It probably won't, but the full backup is still the safest way imho.
However: Does this scale?

You can export multiple RBD images in parallel and store them somewhere
else, but it will still take a long time.

The export needs to be stored somewhere and then picked up. Or you could
use some magic with Netcat to stream the RBD export to a destination host.

> 2. My search so far has only turned up backing up RBD pools, but how could I
> backup the pools that are used for object storage?

Not easily. I think you mean RGW? You could try the RGW MultiSite, but
it's difficult.

A complete DR with Ceph to restore it back to how it was at a given
point in time is a challenge.

> Of course, I'm also open to completely other ideas on how to backup Ceph and
> would appreciate hearing how you people are doing your backups.

A lot of time the backups are created inside the VMs on File level. And
there is a second OpenStack+Ceph system which runs a mirror of the VMs
or application. If one burns down it's not the end of the world.

Trying to backup a Ceph cluster sounds very 'enterprise' and is
difficult to scale as well.

Wido