Re: How does monitor know OSD is dead?

Here's some counter-evidence to the proposition that it's not pretty common
for an entire cluster to go down because of a power failure.

Every data center class hardware storage server product I know of has dual
power input and is also designed to tolerate losing power on both at once.  If
that happens, they don't lose data and when the power comes back, they come
back up all by themselves and start serving storage again.

This design usually involves an expensive battery and maintenance procedure to
make sure the battery gets replaced before it wears out (the battery is to
keep the system up long enough to flush write buffers when the power fails),
so users must think total power loss is a serious enough threat to pay for
that.

I may need to modify the above, though, now that I know how Ceph works,
because I've seen storage server products that use Ceph inside.  However, I'll
bet the people who buy those are not aware that it's designed never to go down
and if something breaks while the system is coming up, a repair action may be
necessary before data is accessible again.

--
Bryan Henderson                                   San Jose, California