Re: How does monitor know OSD is dead?

I'm not sure why the monitor did not mark it down after 600 seconds (default). The reason it is so long is that you don't want to move data around unnecessarily if the osd is just being rebooted/restarted. Usually, you will still have min_size OSDs available for all PGs that will allow IO to continue. Then when the down timeout expires it will start backfilling and recovering the PGs that were affected. Double check that size != min_size for your pools.
Robert LeBlanc
PGP Fingerprint 79A2 9CA4 6CC4 45DD A904  C70E E654 3BB2 FA62 B9F1