Re: Protecting against catastrophic failure of host filesystem

On 18/06/2019 08.12, Eitan Mosenkis wrote:
Hi.

I'm running a small single-host Ceph cluster on Proxmox (as my home NAS). I want to encrypt my OSDs but I don't want the host's SSD to be a single point of failure. What Ceph config/keyring/secret keys do I need to make safe [encrypted] copies of to ensure that even if the host running the Ceph monitor and OSDs experiences catastrophic data loss, I can still recover the data on the OSD disks? Are the various keyring files (ceph.mon.keyring, ceph.client.admin.keyring) sufficient?

Can I safely store an encrypted copy of that info on the lockbox partition of each OSD or do I need to be concerned that Ceph will delete unrecognized files from the lockbox?

Thanks!

I would recommend making your host's SSD a RAID1 pair or deploying two monitors on different SSDs; this is what I do at home for a similar use case, and should make recovery easier.

The problem is that if you lose the mon then your cluster is toast, and backups don't help that much there because using an out-of-date backed up mon with up-to-date OSDs is a recipe for disaster. The mon stores critical state that must be in sync with the OSDs. Warping the mon back in time is a bad idea. I asked about this very issue on the list in the past :-)

There is a process for recovering the mon state from OSDs themselves:

http://docs.ceph.com/docs/mimic/rados/troubleshooting/troubleshooting-mon/#recovery-using-osds

And for that you would need at least the lockbox keys to be able to decrypt the OSD partitions. You can use 'ceph config-key ls' to list all your config keys; in my ceph-volume-on-lvm setup there are a bunch of 'dm-crypt/osd/<id>/luks' keys that hold the encryption passphrases you need. Make sure you test that they work (not sure if they need to be base64 decoded or what have you) if you really want to go this route.

--
Hector Martin (hector@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Public Key: https://mrcn.st/pub