Re: Unexplainable high memory usage OSD with BlueStore

On Fri, 3 May 2019 at 05:12, Mark Nelson <mnelson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> > -- https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/vm/transhuge.txt
>
> Why are you quoting the description for the madvise setting when that's
> clearly not what was set in the case I just showed you?

Similarly why(?) are you telling us it must be due to THPs if:

1) by default they're not used unless madvise()'ed,
2) none of jemalloc or tcmalloc would madvise by default too.

[...]
> previously|malloc|'ed. Because the machine used transparent huge pages,

Is it from DigitalOcean's blog? I read it pretty long ago. And it was
written long ago, referring to some
ancient release of jemalloc and what's more important -- to a system
that has THP activated.

-- But I've shown you that it's not default kernel's setting to use
THP -- unless madvise would tell kernel so.
Your example with CentOS isn't relevant due to person who started this
thread use Debian (Proxmox, to be more correct).
Moreover, something's telling me that even in default CentOS installs
THPs are also set to madvise()-only.

> I'm not going to argue with you about this.

I don't argue with you.
I'm merely showing you that instead of doing baseless claims (or wild
guess-working), it's worth checking facts first.
Checking if THP's are used at all (although it might be not due OSDs
but, say, KVM) is as simple as looking into /proc/meminfo.

> Test it if you want or don't.

I didn't start this thread. ;)
As to me -- I've played enough with all kind of allocators and THP settings. :)

--
End of message. Next message?