Re: Unexplainable high memory usage OSD with BlueStore

On 5/1/19 12:59 AM, Igor Podlesny wrote:
On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 at 20:56, Igor Podlesny <ceph-user@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 30 Apr 2019 at 19:10, Denny Fuchs <linuxmail@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
[..]
Any suggestions ?
-- Try different allocator.
Ah, BTW, except memory allocator there's another option: recently
backported bitmap allocator.
Igor Fedotov wrote about it's expected to have lesser memory footprint
with time:

     http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2019-April/034299.html

Also I'm not sure though if it's okay to switch existent OSDs "on-fly"
-- changing config and restarting OSDs.
Igor (Fedotov), can you please elaborate on this matter?

FWIW, if you still have an OSD up with tcmalloc, it's probably worth looking at the heap stats to see how much memory tcmalloc thinks it's allocated vs how much RSS memory is being used by the process.  It's quite possible that there is memory that has been unmapped but that the kernel can't (or has decided not yet to) reclaim.  Transparent huge pages can potentially have an effect here both with tcmalloc and with jemalloc so it's not certain that switching the allocator will fix it entirely.

First I would just get the heap stats and then after that I would be very curious if disabling transparent huge pages helps. Alternately, it's always possible it's a memory leak. :D

Mark