Re: Unexplainable high memory usage OSD with BlueStore

On Fri, 3 May 2019 at 01:29, Mark Nelson <mnelson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 5/2/19 11:46 AM, Igor Podlesny wrote:
> > On Thu, 2 May 2019 at 05:02, Mark Nelson <mnelson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > [...]
> >> FWIW, if you still have an OSD up with tcmalloc, it's probably worth
> >> looking at the heap stats to see how much memory tcmalloc thinks it's
> >> allocated vs how much RSS memory is being used by the process.  It's
> >> quite possible that there is memory that has been unmapped but that the
> >> kernel can't (or has decided not yet to) reclaim.
> >> Transparent huge pages can potentially have an effect here both with tcmalloc and with
> >> jemalloc so it's not certain that switching the allocator will fix it entirely.
> > Most likely wrong. -- Default kernel's settings in regards of THP are "madvise".
> > None of tcmalloc or jemalloc would madvise() to make it happen.
> > With fresh enough jemalloc you could have it, but it needs special
> > malloc.conf'ing.
>

>  From one of our centos nodes with no special actions taken to change
> THP settings (though it's possible it was inherited from something else):
>

> $ cat /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS Linux release 7.5.1804 (Core)
> $ cat /sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/enabled
> [always] madvise never

"madvise" will enter direct reclaim like "always" but only for regions
that are have used madvise(MADV_HUGEPAGE). This is the default behaviour.

-- https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/vm/transhuge.txt

> And regarding madvise and alternate memory allocators:
> https:
[...]

did you ever read any of it?

one link's info:

"By default jemalloc does not use huge pages for heap memory (there is
opt.metadata_thp which uses THP for internal metadata though)"

(and I've said
> > None of tcmalloc or jemalloc would madvise() to make it happen.
> > With fresh enough jemalloc you could have it, but it needs special
> > malloc.conf'ing.
before)

--
End of message. Next message?