Re: dropping python 2 for nautilus... go/no-go

On 18/01/2019 22.33, Alfredo Deza wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 7:07 AM Hector Martin <hector@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On 17/01/2019 00:45, Sage Weil wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> This has come up several times before, but we need to make a final
>>> decision.  Alfredo has a PR prepared that drops Python 2 support entirely
>>> in master, which will mean nautilus is Python 3 only.
>>>
>>> All of our distro targets (el7, bionic, xenial) include python 3, so that
>>> isn't an issue.  However, it also means that users of python-rados,
>>> python-rbd, and python-cephfs will need to be using python 3.
>>
>> I'm not sure dropping Python 2 support in Nautilus is reasonable...
>> simply because Python 3 support isn't quite stable in Mimic yet - I just
>> filed https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/37963 for ceph-volume being broken
>> with Python 3 and dm-crypt :-)
>
> These are the exact type of things we can't really get to test because
> we rely on functional coverage. Because we currently build Ceph with
> support with Python2, then the binaries end up "choosing" the Python2
> interpreter and so the tests are all Python2

Sounds like that should be changed to default to Python3. On Gentoo, the
Ceph ebuilds do the usual Gentoo thing, that is: Gentoo lets users
select both a set of supported Python versions, and a preferred/selected
version. User modules get built for all supported versions and
binaries/tools get built for the active/main/preferred version. This is
how I ended up with a Python3 ceph-volume, because most of my systems
default to Python3 these days.

Perhaps the same thing coulde be done on other distros, forcing all the
tools to switch to Python3 while keeping the Python2 compatible modules?

--
Hector Martin (hector@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Public Key: https://mrcn.st/pub