Re: dropping python 2 for nautilus... go/no-go

On 17/01/2019 00:45, Sage Weil wrote:
Hi everyone,

This has come up several times before, but we need to make a final
decision.  Alfredo has a PR prepared that drops Python 2 support entirely
in master, which will mean nautilus is Python 3 only.

All of our distro targets (el7, bionic, xenial) include python 3, so that
isn't an issue.  However, it also means that users of python-rados,
python-rbd, and python-cephfs will need to be using python 3.

I'm not sure dropping Python 2 support in Nautilus is reasonable... simply because Python 3 support isn't quite stable in Mimic yet - I just filed https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/37963 for ceph-volume being broken with Python 3 and dm-crypt :-)

I think there needs to be a release that supports both equally well to give people time to safely migrate over. Might be worth doing some tree-wide reviews (like that division thing) to hopefully squash more lurking Python 3 bugs.

(just my 2c - maybe I got unlucky and otherwise things work well enough for everyone else in Py3; I'm certainly happy to get rid of Py2 ASAP).

--
Hector Martin (hector@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
Public Key: https://marcan.st/marcan.asc