Re: dropping python 2 for nautilus... go/no-go

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 7:07 AM Hector Martin <hector@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 17/01/2019 00:45, Sage Weil wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > This has come up several times before, but we need to make a final
> > decision.  Alfredo has a PR prepared that drops Python 2 support entirely
> > in master, which will mean nautilus is Python 3 only.
> >
> > All of our distro targets (el7, bionic, xenial) include python 3, so that
> > isn't an issue.  However, it also means that users of python-rados,
> > python-rbd, and python-cephfs will need to be using python 3.
>
> I'm not sure dropping Python 2 support in Nautilus is reasonable...
> simply because Python 3 support isn't quite stable in Mimic yet - I just
> filed https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/37963 for ceph-volume being broken
> with Python 3 and dm-crypt :-)

These are the exact type of things we can't really get to test because
we rely on functional coverage. Because we currently build Ceph with
support with Python2, then the binaries end up "choosing" the Python2
interpreter and so the tests are all Python2

The other issue is that we found to be borderline impossible to toggle
Python2/Python3 builds to allow some builds to be Python3 so that we
can actually
run some tests.

I do expect breakage though, so the sooner we get to switch the
better. Seems like we are leaning towards merging the
Python3-exclusive branch once Nautilus is out.