Re: RGW performance with lots of objects

Hi Robert,

Solved is probably a strong word.  I'd say that things have improved.  Bluestore in general tends to handle large numbers of objects better than filestore does for several reasons including that it doesn't suffer from pg directory splitting (though RocksDB compaction can become a bottleneck with very large DBs and heavy metadata traffic)  Bluestore also has less overhead for OMAP operations and so far we've generally seen higher OMAP performance (ie how bucket indexes are currently stored).  The bucket index sharding of course helps too.  One counter argument is that bluestore uses the KeyvalueDB a lot more aggressively than filestore does and that could have an impact on bucket indexes hosted on the same OSDs as user objects.  This gets sort of complicated though and may primarily be an issue if all of your OSDs are backed by NVMe and sustaining very high write traffic. Ultimately I suspect that if you ran the same 500+m object single-bucket test, that a modern bluestore deployment would probably be faster than what you saw pre-luminous with filestore. Whether or not it's acceptable is a different question.  For example I've noticed in past tests that delete performance improved dramatically when objects were spread across a higher number of buckets.  Probably the best course of action will be to run tests and diagnose the behavior to see if it's going to meet your needs.

Thanks,

Mark