Re: mgr/dashboard: backporting Ceph Dashboard v2 to Luminous

On 23/08/2018 11:22, Lenz Grimmer wrote:
On 08/22/2018 08:57 PM, David Turner wrote:

My initial reaction to this PR/backport was questioning why such a
major update would happen on a dot release of Luminous.  Your
reaction to keeping both dashboards viable goes to support that.
Should we really be backporting features into a dot release that
force people to change how they use the software?  That seems more of
the purpose of having new releases.

This is indeed an unusual case. But considering that the Dashboard does
not really change any of the Ceph core functionality but adds a lot of
value by improving the usability and manageability of Ceph, we agreed
with Sage on making an exception here.

I haven't really used either dashboard though.  Other than adding
admin functionality, does it remove any functionality of the previous
dashboard?

Like Kai wrote, our initial goal was to reach feature parity with
Dashboard v1, in order to not introduce a regression when replacing it.

In the meanwhile, Dashboard v2 is way beyond that and we have added a
lot of additional functionality, e.g. RBD and RGW management.

With backporting this to Luminous, we also hope to reach a larger
audience of users that have not updated to Mimic yet.

Wierd approach question....

Is there still some "logic" separation between the v1 and v2 stuff?
And is it possible to build what is used to be v1 without importing the npm stuff? That way I can "easily" package and distribute that piece.

ATM this plan really cripples my possibilities to package a bit of dashboard... where L and M did have something workable.

Just keeping it in the tree as "dead wood" for the time being would help me get people a taste of what is there. Just ripping it out does not help. And I'll try to work out a solution before the release of Nautilus, or accept that it will be gone and has to be v2.

--WjW