Re: mgr/dashboard: backporting Ceph Dashboard v2 to Luminous

Thanks for your feedback, Willem!

> The old dashboard does not need any package fetch while
> building/installing. Something that is not very handy when building
> FreeBSD packages. And I haven't gotten around to determining how to > get around that.

I thought that https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/22562 fixed make-dist
issues on FreeBSD. Is that not working yet? Let us know if that's the
case!

> Suggest renaming it to simpledash or dashboard_v1 and keep it in the
> tree.

Unfortunately, keeping v1 is not as simple as moving the dashboard to
a separate directory (unless we leave it hanging as dead code).
Dashboard_v2 completely replaces dashboard_v1, and that also means
unit test, QA suites, and references in common files (install-deps.sh,
CMakeLists.txt, ceph.spec.in, debian/*, do_freebsd.sh, vstart.sh,
etc.).

My concern is that properly keeping both ones would go beyond a
long-but-mostly-clean cherry-picking. It'd involve Luminous actively
diverging from master, which might burden other backports with
manual/creative conflict-solving.

KR,

Ernesto