Re: cephfs kernel client hangs

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 4:46 PM Jake Grimmett <jog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> With regard to memory pressure; Does the cephfs fuse client also cause a
> deadlock - or is this just the kernel client?

TBH, I'm not expert enough on the kernel-side implementation of fuse
to say.  Ceph does have the fuse_disable_pagecache that might reduce
the probability of issues if you're committed to running clients and
servers on the same node.

> We run the fuse client on ten OSD nodes, and use parsync (parallel
> rsync) to backup two beegfs systems (~1PB).
>
> Ordinarily fuse works OK, but any OSD problems can cause an out of
> memory error on other osd threads as they recover, e.g.:
>
> kernel: [<ffffffff9cf98906>] out_of_memory+0x4b6/0x4f0
> kernel: Out of memory: Kill process 1927903 (ceph-osd) score 27 or
> sacrifice child
>
> Limiting bluestore_cache (as follows) prevents the OOM error, and allows
> us to run the cephfs fuse client reliably:
>
> bluestore_cache_size = 209715200
> bluestore_cache_kv_max = 134217728
>
> We have 45 OSD's per box, 128GB RAM. Dual E5-2620 v4
> mimic 13.2.1, Load average 16 or so is normal...
>
> Could our OOM errors (with a default config) be caused by us running
> cephfs fuse on the osd servers?

I wouldn't rule it out, but this is also a pretty high density of OSDs
per node to begin with.  If each OSD is at least a few terabytes,
you're the wrong side of the rule of thumb on resources (1GB RAM per
TB of OSD storage).  I'd also be concerned about having only one
quarter of a CPU core for each OSD.  Sounds like you've got your
settings tuned to something that's working in practice though, so I
wouldn't mess with it :-)

John