Erasure coding and the way objects fill up free space

Hi,

There’s something I would like to understand regarding advanced erasure coding and the way objects take up place. Let’s say that I have 10 nodes of 4 OSDs  and an erasure coded pool set with K=6, M=2 and a crush failure domain of host. I can technically fill up this ceph cluster until one OSD drive gets full, then CEPH would stop working, thus losing some unused space.

Now, if I end up needing to replace some of the OSDs with bigger drives, will it take longer to have one OSD fill up, resulting in losing less space? Or will it end up being about the same?

Jean-Philippe Méthot
Openstack system administrator
Administrateur système Openstack
PlanetHoster inc.