Re: Upgrading journals to BlueStore: a conundrum

As long as your fault domain is host (or even rack) you're good, just take out the entire host and recreate all osd's on it.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Stanford" <rstanford8896@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "ceph-users" <ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 6, 2018 8:39:07 PM
Subject:  Upgrading journals to BlueStore: a conundrum

According to the instructions to upgrade a journal to BlueStore (
http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/bluestore-migration/),
the OSD that uses the journal is destroyed and recreated.

 I am using SSD journals, and want to use them with BlueStore.  Reusing the
SSD requires zapping the disk (ceph-disk zap).  But this would take down
all OSDs that use this journal, not just the one-at-a-time that I destroy
and recreate when following the upgrade instructions.

 How then can one upgrade journals to BlueStore when there is more than one
journal on the same disk?