Re: Default erasure code profile and sustaining loss of one host containing 4 OSDs

Generally the recommendation is: if your redundancy is X you should have at least X+1 entities in your failure domain to allow ceph to automatically  self-heal

Given your setup of 6 severs and failure domain host means you should select k+m=5 at most. So 3+2 should make for a good profile in your case.

You could go to 4+2 but a loss of a host means ceph can't auto heal means of another server gets into trouble before the first one is replaced your cluster will become unavailable.

Please note that you can't change the EC profile of an existing pool - you'll need to create a new pool and copy the data over if you want to change your current profile

Cheers
Christian