Re: Adding SSD-backed DB & WAL to existing HDD OSD

Hi,

we had to recreate some block.db's for some OSDs just a couple of weeks ago because our existing journal SSD had failed. This way we avoided to rebalance the whole cluster, just the OSD had to be filled up. Maybe this will help you too.

http://heiterbiswolkig.blogs.nde.ag/2018/04/08/resetting-an-existing-bluestore-osd/

Regards,
Eugen

Zitat von Caspar Smit <casparsmit@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hello,

I was wondering if it's possible or how best to add a DB & WAL to an OSD
retroactively? (Still using Luminous)

I hurriedly created some HDD-backed bluestore OSDs without their WAL & DB
on SSDs, and then loaded them up with data.

When I realized I forgot to use the SSD partitions for its WAL & DB, I
marked the first OSD out, let it drain, nuked it, and recreated it, and am
now waiting for it to re-populate.

In the meantime, I've been searching for how to best add them
retroactively on the remaining OSDs.

I found https://swamireddy.wordpress.com/2016/02/19/ceph-
how-to-add-the-ssd-journal/ which seems to describe how to add the DB,
but not the WAL.

Hi Brad, these steps are for Filestore backed OSD's only. Afaik there
currently isn't a procedure to seperate the DB/WAL after OSD creation, so
your current method of marking out, drain and re-create is your only option.

Kind regards,
Caspar

Any tips?

Thanks!