Re: Adding SSD-backed DB & WAL to existing HDD OSD

Hello,

I was wondering if it's possible or how best to add a DB & WAL to an OSD retroactively? (Still using Luminous)

I hurriedly created some HDD-backed bluestore OSDs without their WAL & DB on SSDs, and then loaded them up with data.

When I realized I forgot to use the SSD partitions for its WAL & DB, I marked the first OSD out, let it drain, nuked it, and recreated it, and am now waiting for it to re-populate.

In the meantime, I've been searching for how to best add them retroactively on the remaining OSDs.

I found https://swamireddy.wordpress.com/2016/02/19/ceph-how-to-add-the-ssd-journal/ which seems to describe how to add the DB, but not the WAL.

Hi Brad, these steps are for Filestore backed OSD's only. Afaik there currently isn't a procedure to seperate the DB/WAL after OSD creation, so your current method of marking out, drain and re-create is your only option.

Kind regards,
Caspar

Any tips?

Thanks!