Re: Designating an OSD as a spare

On 06/21/2018 03:35 PM, Drew Weaver wrote:
> Yes,
>

> Eventually however you would probably want to replace that physical disk
> that has died and sometimes with remote deployments it is nice to not
> have to do that instantly which is how enterprise arrays and support
> contracts have worked for decades.

There is no point in doing that with Ceph. You just provision those
disks as OSDs and make sure you don't fill up your cluster to a certain
level. If you want you can even set the triggers lower then X percent.

If a disks dies you don't have to take any action. Ceph rebalances and
we are back to HEALTH_OK. Now you can replace that dead disk when ever
you like.

I manage a few clusters with >1000 disks and they have disks dying
weekly. Once every X weeks somebody goes to the datacenter and swaps the
broken disks. In the mean time we run happily without those disks.

Wido