From: Paul Emmerich [mailto:paul.emmerich@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2018 9:16 AM
To: Drew Weaver <drew.weaver@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ceph-users <ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ceph-users] Designating an OSD as a spare

Spare disks are bad design. There is no point in having a disk that is not being used.

Ceph will automatically remove a dead disk after 15 minutes from the cluster, backfilling

the data onto other disks.

Paul

Does anyone know if it is possible to designate an OSD as a spare so that if a disk dies in a host no administrative action needs to be immediately taken to remedy the situation?

Thanks,

-Drew

Paul Emmerich

Looking for help with your Ceph cluster? Contact us at https://croit.io