Re: iSCSI to a Ceph node with 2 network adapters - how to ?

On 06/15/2018 12:21 PM, Wladimir Mutel wrote:

>>>          I don't use either MPIO or MCS on Windows 2008 R2 or Windows 10
>>> initiator (not Win2016 but hope there is no much difference). I try
>>> to make
>>> it work with a single session first. Also, right now I only have a
>>> single
>>> iSCSI gateway/portal (single host, single IP, single port).
>>> Or is MPIO mandatory to use with Ceph target ?
>
>> It's mandatory even if you only have a single path since MPIO is
>> responsible for activating the paths.
>
>     Who would know ? I installed MPIO, enabled it for iSCSI
>     (required Windows reboot), set MPIO policy to 'Failover only',
>     and now my iSCSI target is readable&writable !
>     Thanks a lot for your help !
>     Probably this should be written with bigger and redder letters
>     in Ceph docs.
>
>     Next question, would it be possible for iPXE loader to boot
>     from such iSCSI volumes ? I am going to experiment with that
>     but if the answer is known in advance, it would be good to know.

It will probably not work with the explicit failover based tcmu-runner
(1.4.rc1 and newer), because iPXE does not have a multipath layer that
supports ALUA.

It might work sometimes because the path that is being used is already
in the active state.

It would probably always work with older versions of tcmu-runner because
we were doing implicit failover and so we did not need any special
multipath layer support.