Re: move rbd image (with snapshots) to different pool

On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 12:15 PM, Steve Taylor
<steve.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have done this with Luminous by deep-flattening a clone in a different pool. It seemed to do what I wanted, but the RBD appeared to lose its sparseness in the process.

Hmm, Luminous librbd clients should have kept object-sized sparseness
during the flatten operation [1] since it will not copy-up a zeroed,
object-sized block from the parent to the child image.  Jewel clients
would not preserve object-level sparseness, so a flatten operation
would result in a fully allocated image [2].

> Can anyone verify that and/or comment on whether Mimic's "rbd deep copy" does the same?

The "rbd export --export-format 2" and "rbd deep copy" actions both
preserve the sparseness of the source image since they rely on RADOS
providing the -- not restricted to object-sized sparseness like a
copy-up operation.

[1] https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/luminous/src/test/cli-integration/rbd/formatted-output.t#L888
[2] https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/jewel/src/test/cli-integration/rbd/formatted-output.t#L855

--